Intellectual property infringement is one of the lawsuits that are hard to prove without solid evidence. It requires concrete documents that prove the claim of the plaintiff as well as the proof of violation of the accused. And such complaint is expressed with a letter. If you happened to receive such document is it important that you know what to do to handle the case properly. There are frauds or “take advantages” of this type of lawsuit. Hence, you have to make sure such cases will not victimize you. There is IP claim defense that you could reach out on these complaints. And one of which will be discussed in this text along with the ways to handle the complaint.
- What is the complaint all about? Read the letter carefully. You must be able to deduce the reason why they sent you such complaint. Is it about the software you used in your system that happened to be similar to theirs? Or you’ve produced a book having the same title and contents to theirs. Whatever it is making sure that you understand the violation that is alleged on you.
- Identify the individuals involved in the infringement. Who is the plaintiff? Are there any other individuals involved in the case? Make sure to list down the people who are included in the case. These people might help you clarify the issue if it is not clear stated on the letter.
- Take note of the details of the complaint. After reading the letter, get a pen and jot down their the important details of the complaint. You need this to have a clearer vision on the case you are facing. This will also help you simplify the agenda of the plaintiff and cause of the issue.
- Call your lawyer. It is always safe to reach for the individual whom you trusted the most when it comes to lawsuits. But before calling a professional, make sure that you are reaching a person who has solid experience when it comes to dealing IP infringement cases. These lawyers know how to handle the situation better and could give you the best advice to get through with the complaint.
- Settle the case accordingly. Your lawyer has several strategies on how to handle the case. And two of the basic is to face the complaint on the court and fight against the complaint or settle the case with monetary means. The former could cost you a lot on top of paying the lawyer’s professional fee. Meanwhile, settling the case through a fine might be the best solution especially when the company complaining is a huge one.
When you encounter an IP infringement complaint, you need to handle the issue in a calm way by getting to know the case. Start it with reading the letter thoroughly, followed by identifying the people involved in the case and then the details. You need to be aware of these things so that you know exactly what you are facing and how you can best defend yourself. Reaching an experienced professional to handle the case is always good advice. He/She will provide you the most appropriate form of settlement considering your case and resources.…